Thursday 12 January 2012

Brushing Up


In recent weeks, after reading copious beauty blog articles and watching thousands (only a slight exaggeration) of V-log tutorials, I've learnt one very important thing about make up application...YOU NEED GOOD BRUSHES. It seems your standard palette freebies just don't cut the mustard and applying make up with poor quality brushes is practically like trying to brush your hair with a pillow...pointless.

So with this playing on my mind every make-up-wearing morning ever since, I did a little research into the 'best' brushes out there both on the high street and a little more high end. There are hundreds to choose from of which MAC, Clinique, No.7, EcoTools, The Body Shop and bobbi brown caught my eye the most.

I am the worst decision maker in the world, ever, and I did what I normally do in these difficult situations - let fate, or ebay decide. I left it a week or so in the hope one set of brushes would slap me in the face.

I entered MAC in Leeds' Victoria Quarter to treat myself to an eyeshadow before my first January exam (brilliant logic) and thought what better reason to buy an eyeshadow brush, than with my eyeshadow. Unfortunately one of the assistants, with far too much make up on, informed me that, with regret, the famous 217 brush I had requested was not in stock. In her eyes that meant a little less commission but in mine, this was fate.

To cut a long story short a few days later I was milling around my local town and was on to a WINNING shopping day; I'd already found a Calvin Klein bra for £4 and a £69 coat down to £12; I was on a bargain-fuelled high. Then I strolled into The Body Shop and glaring back at me was a set of beautiful brushes, on sale, for £15! Contained inside were:


  • Face & Body Brush




  • Brow & Lash Comb




  • Eyeshadow Brush




  • Lipstick/Concealer Brush




  • Fabric Roll  to store them in



  • They are still on sale online and are available here



    Normally a Face and Body Brush is £18 so I knew straight away I was onto a complete winner. Unfortunately the set didn't contain a blusher brush which I knew I needed so I decided to go for the cheap and cheerful but ethically sound EcoTools (7.99) blush brush from Boots to go with them, which conveniently fit in my pouch! They are all so soft and lovely.

    I've already used them and everything stayed on so much longer today, at this point I can't believe I ever managed without them.

    Would love to know which (if any) brushes you use!

    4 comments:

    1. I have a random collection of brushes ranging from mac, ruby and millie, no7 and random boots/superdrugs ones but theyre pretty old/battered so invested in a set of ecotools ones for £15 (sounds like a similar set to your body shop one)
      I've not used them yet, but theyre so soft so cant wait to try them out!

      x

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah the EcoTools tools brushes have amazing reviews and aren't too pricey - I'm sure you'll love them! :) x

        Delete
    2. I've been after some brushes for ages (usually just use sponges) but haven't quite found anything to my budget but these BS one's sound good especially if I can still get them on offer... x

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love Body Shop brushes this is a real bargin I've got the foundation and blusher brush they are excellent quaulity and don't shread hairs!
      www.beautywondersuk.blogspot.com
      xxx

      ReplyDelete